Tuesday 15 September 2015

Brim CC: 601 Little Collins Street Melbourne

Brim CC is a super packed Japanese fusion place near Southern Cross Station and I mean super packed - the line is often out the door.

You'll forgive me then for feeling disappointed. The food is pretty, organic and has just as many options for vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters alike, but I found it lacking in oomph. No amazing flavours. Everything was muted. If this was near my work, I would go there occasionally simply because its organic and better than many processed food venues but I didn't love it. Purple peanut is better and right round the corner at 620 Collins Street. If you don't like strong flavours and you are in the area, than this is probably the place for you.

We ordered two bento boxes to share - the Tokyo bento and the vegetarian special. The Tokyo bento had three rice balls (which is a bit much thanks - one would have been fine), a hamburger steak meatball and potato salad (both contained egg), grilled eggplant and tofu with miso paste (not bad but I've had much better) and sauteed carrots. All very gum-able. I imagine this is what a child or an old person would eat for dinner. As I said, very mild flavours and I didn't try the meatball but it looked unappetising.

The Vegetarian Special I would go so far as to call bland. It contained a small dish of soy beans in a tomatoey type sauce, cold tofu with a tiny bit of carrot dressing (it would have been completely flavourless without the dressing), a random pile of diced tomato with nothing on it (??), grilled pumpkin (which offered some natural flavour), traditional cucumber pickles (thankfully - I love pickles) and sweet daikon (it was meant to be sweet and salty but wasn't).

The most popular lunch choice is the combo - mix and match soup, salad and rice with curry. The soups seemed fairly random for a Japanese fusion place - Russian borscht, French sausages and veggies, vegetarian ginger and carrot and Hungarian goulash with gnocchi. The curries were more of what you would expect - katsu, Tokyo style beef curry and Tokyo chicken and tomato.

Apart from the abundance of rice, the food is pretty healthy and does offer a nice alternative to other options but it is for those with a very mild palate. I love bold flavours so I won't be returning but I do recognise everyone is different and clearly this place is popular so it must be filling a void.

One tick.





BrimCC Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment