Friday 14 August 2015

Red Door Corner Store: 70 Mitchell Street Northcote

I'm going to start this post off by saying - this place should be in the Good Food Guide. What are you guys doing? This is way better than other brunch places I have tried (West 48 aside).

My boss recommended I visit this place and she has not led me astray so far (well, not in a food sense anyway *wink*). Lots of vegan friendly options, local produce and organic choices. As food should be in my humble opinion. This is my dish: 


I wanted to give you a picture before I talked you through it. Those are corn, zucchini and quinoa fritters, otherwise known as little balls of fried goodness, sitting on piles of guacamole and topped off with super tasty red pepper sauce. In the centre is a charred corn and purple cabbage salad, with fresh dill and lime. The poached egg went to Senor Gringo who satisfied himself with a Gippsland grass fed flat iron open steak sandwich, with haloumi, sauteed kale, charred corn, chimicurri, lime and green tomato relish. His silence and closed eyes told me all I needed to know about how much he was enjoying his food.

Everything about this place was right. I loved it. My faith in cafes was raised once again. They even serve salad for breakfast, what a great idea!

Not only was the food amazing but I left with a jar of local honey from a bee keeper in Northcote. Apparently if you eat local honey regularly it can reduce your hay fever symptoms. No idea if that thought has any credence but as I like honey and have awful hay fever every year I'm more than willing to give it a try - what do I have to lose? Nothing!

Try this place. Make it your local if you have to. I want to. Thank you Red Door Corner Store.

 







More pics: 




Red Door Corner Store Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment