Sunday 27 December 2015

Bierkeller: 306 Bridge Road Richmond

After great joy, comes great disappointment. 

Inspired by Octoberfest, Senor Gringo and I headed to an Austrian restaurant in Richmond for dinner with friends. As you may have guessed by now I love pickles, fermented foods and processed and cured meats (sausages, salami, bacon & the like) and even though I have to be careful to avoid dairy, German and Austrian restaurants can be comfort food heaven. 

I ordered the weisswurst with sauerkraut, horseradish, mustard and bread (the other sausages were not fussy eater friendly), Senor Gringo ordered the pork schnitzel with cranberry sauce and a size of fries, accompanied by a stein of dark beer for him and a schnapps for me. 

Everything was disappointing. My weisswurst was boiled and flavourless and there wasn't enough mustard and horseradish to improve it (with these accompaniments being similarly dull); Senor Gringo's portions were ample but the food was so lackluster he didn't want to eat it all (does a schnitzel really need to be plate sized?). My schnapps was on the acidic side and not in a pleasant way - it reminded me of stealing the booze my parents had on the side table throughout my teen years (they clearly didn't drink it for a reason). And Senor Gringo's beer wasn't anything he would order again. 

Our friends said their food was similarly meh. Good atmosphere but in my humble opinion they have focused on looks and portion size at the expense of taste. Although perhaps I am just not the target audience - those massive parma places attract a certain kind of crowd. 

One tick. I suggest they visit the Rhinedorf in Beverly Hills NSW if they ever get the chance - now that places knows good food! 





BierKeller Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment