Sunday 14 February 2016

Hutong Dumpling Bar: 14-16 Market Lane Melbourne

One Friday I went to Hutong Dumpling Bar to fill the void left by my salad. Salad, I love you, you know I do but sometimes you leave me feeling unsatisfied. Today was one of those days.

I love dumplings. Pan fried pork are my favourite. So naturally, at a dumpling bar, that’s exactly what I ordered. Senor Gringo also ordered salt and pepper squid.

The dumplings that arrived did not look pan fried, although some frying had gone on as they came out attached to this weird pan shaped batter. The dumplings were much larger than normal, didn’t have that lovely crispy base and due to their size each and every one fell apart as soon as I picked it up. Disappointing. It wasn’t a total write off though as they did have a homemade casing – a big tick - and nicely balanced flavours but I don’t need to go back and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Senor Gringo advised his salt and pepper squid was not cooked enough and had too much batter making the batter, not the squid, the dominant flavour.

Overall, there were other things on the menu that I would have liked to have tried, if I had a bigger appetite, but they were the standard items you see at most Chinese restaurants and if I dumpling bar can’t excel at dumplings I’m happy to try those things elsewhere.

One tick - done, dusted, not going back.

HuTong Dumpling Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment