Sunday 14 February 2016

Shimbashi Soba and Sake Bar: 17 Liverpool Street Melbourne

OMG this place is amazing. I love love love it. They grind their own buckwheat and make their own noodles from scratch every day on the premises. You can see the mill in the corner when you walk in. Apparently something happens to buckwheat, and flour in general, after 24 hours (oxidises maybe?) and eating it when it is freshly ground is better for your digestion and health. I won’t argue with that.

I have been a couple of times at lunch and the only thing that stops me from going back more regularly is that the restaurant is small and I don’t want to eat in a packed place by myself when they are so busy (plus I don’t think it is fair). I could take a friend but sometimes you need alone time when you are surrounded by people all day.

I have the seasonal vegetable soup that is loaded with veggies and herbs. Thank you Shimbashi! I don’t know why but so many places seem to be afraid to add many vegetables and just load you up with noodles or rice - they give you more meat for goodness sake so it can't be about cost. The soup has a niboshi dashi broth (don’t google it, you don’t want to know) with so many layers I just can’t describe.

It seems there are dozens of Japanese restaurants these days but Shimbashi is a stand out winner for me. Go there. It will do you good, I promise.

Three ticks – I wish all food tasted this good.

Shimbashi Soba & Sake Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment