Friday 19 February 2016

Agraba: 63 Errol Street North Melbourne

Having booked to visit this place with a group of friends, I thought I better give it a go first to make sure the $40pp set menu was worth it (it is obligatory for groups of 8 or more). I'm glad I did as the food was really disappointing and I would have been embarrassed to bring my friends here.

The highlight of my meal was the hummus, which was creamy and good. Everything else was bland or just plain bad. The malfouf (spiced minced lamb in cabbage leaves) smelled like feet when they put in on the table and it didn't taste much better either. The lamb skewer from the lunch platter was overcooked, something you will hear me say rarely as I love well done meat. The pickles lacked flavour, I seriously don't know how they managed that, and the falafels did not taste good at all (you would certainly not be willing to die with one of these babies in your hand). Even the char grilled cauliflower was under cooked and flavourless. To top it off, the loubia (green beans in olive oil, coriander and tomato) tasted like nothing. This is one of my favourite Lebanese dishes. If I had of tried it here for the first time I would never have bothered trying it again.

We were the only ones in the restaurant at 2:30pm on a Saturday. I don't know how this place got into the Good Food Guide. Sure, it has a good atmosphere and the drinks are cheap (I can recommend the homemade limonada with a shot of vodka and the Almaza beer) but you go to a restaurant to eat and the food is not even worth finishing. For shame people, for shame. Having grown up with a lot of Lebanese friends I can guarantee you their mums would shake their head or release a tirade about the inadequacy of the place.

Thumbs down, don't do it to yourself.

Agraba Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment