Sunday 14 February 2016

Ragusa: 139 Nelson Place Williamstown

One night I worked really late and Senor Gringo was tasked with finding somewhere from the GFG for us to start the weekend. No parameters. When he got in the car he told me we were going to have Croatian. My first thought, Croatian? What am I going to eat? Sausages and potatoes? Sounds kind of bland.

The restaurant has that posh minimalist feel to it, with very attentive staff. These places tend to make me feel awkward. I like to be anonymous, ignored when I am not being served food or drinks and surrounded by lots of noise and lots of people. Only, here the staff are so down to earth it does not matter, you just feel at home.

I ordered a cocktail, no idea what it was called but it was so damn delicious. I asked the staff what the alcohol was (something I couldn't pronounce) and the host brought the bottle over for me to try it straight, just to make sure I like it if/when I go buy the bottle myself. That was really nice of her & yes I definitely do like it straight. Mm mm good.

I did in fact order sausages, they came with a cabbage salad that was light and tangy, not heavy at all and homemade ajvar, which is possibly my favourite condiment. Really, if the food gods made sausages and brought them down from heaven (that fictional place in the sky), then they delivered them right to Ragusa's door step.

Senor Gringo ordered twice roasted duck with mlinci and sour cherry sauce (don't ask me what that is because I don't know) and we shared a bowl of kipfler potatoes. I couldn't finish all my meal. I was super stuffed. The food was divine. It was well balanced and flavoursome, nothing stodgy or bland about it. Senor Gringo joked that he wanted to be like the Romans and purge just to be able to eat it all again.

Surprisingly, there were quite a few things on the menu I could eat and I told the staff I can't eat eggs or dairy (they asked! bonus points for them) and they said they could modify quite a few more things just for me. Aw, nice. They have a spit roast on Thursday nights (bookings required) and I will definitely be back to try it. Also, a lot of their produce is locally sourced. This restaurant well and truly deserves its place in the GFG.

Three ticks. A bit pricey, save it for a special occasion or a time of need.

Ragusa Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment